Miss Mayberry Pie,The Milian & Noodles!







Thursday, March 10, 2011

Yes, we have "that" kid!!

Right around Max's 1st birthday we scrabbled an egg for him..gave it to him..and within a few he had a rash around his mouth, on cheeks and little on neck. We took the egg away and called the pediatrician. They said to hold off on eggs til he is 2. OK..no biggy whatever. I knew he was fine with baked goods with eggs because he had had enough cupcake on his birthday to rush him to the hospital if not.

Then just a couple of weeks ago, Mayson stayed the night with Mimi and Bobba and made yummy cookies!
Well, like true Morell style, me and the kiddos dove into the cookies on the ride home. Of course, I gave Max some too. Only little pieces because he still only has 2 lower front teeth.
THANK GOD!!
By the time we got to where we were going I looked back at him and same rash as when he ate the egg.
I then called Mimi and she said that the only thing different in the cookies was...almond extract. great.
Another phone call to the ped office and blah blah blah we ended up at
Northwest Asthma and Allergy Center in Redmond the next day.



They then did a scratch test with about 8 different foods and animals on his back.
You wait about 15 minutes and if a rash appears...then yes you are allergic to that.
Before the nurse even left the room, he said, "well, he is defiantly allergic to eggs and peanuts..ohh and dogs!" He then shut the door and I sat there in total shock...WHAT?? My kid?! If I hadn't seen the reaction on his back I would have thought they mixed up the test results.

The Doc then came in and told us the news...
Max is allergic to..

1. eggs (80% of kids grow out of it by the time they are 5)
2. peanuts/tree nuts (only 15-20% of kids grow out of)
3. fish-salmon (could be a false positive)
4. dogs/cats (better to keep around animals then remove them completely,can grow out of)

So, eggs I'm sure he will out grow. I hope for his sake..gotta have at least one omelette in your life-right?!
Peanuts, tree nuts and fish he will be retested for in July.
Since he has had a reaction to tree nuts he is allergic, but they can do further tests to determine what exact ones. Still want us to avoid peanuts until we do so.
Since, he has never had fish this could have been a false positive.
Dogs-well sorry but we aren't getting rid of big Boo- so no petting the dog!!
The older he gets the more accurate they can be and tell us exactly what he is allergic to.

So, this is Max's new loot that he gets to carry around with him...wherever he goes, I know this goes...
2 EpiPen Jr's
liquid benadryl
and an inhaler
and an instruction sheet on what to do if "this" happens.

So, now we think he needs a fanny bag??!!

We got a lot of silly little jokes to make light of all this from both sides of the fam.
Uncle JJ said, "We have to change his middle name to Matthew. It can't be Montana. What kind of a man can't eat a peanut butter sandwich?"
Uncle Kevin said, "There is no way he can be allergic to peanut butter...peanut butter ruins through my veins!"
My fist thought was..he can't be allergic to salmon..we are Norwegian. I'm sure half my relatives rolled over when they heard the news!!
Bobba even called and asked, "Does this mean he can't go fishing?!"
My Mom was allergic to tree nuts, so my gut tells me his allergy is strictly tree nuts not peanuts.
So..you Uncles can relax on the peanut butter! I would put money on it that its NOT peanuts!
And the fish thing...my big gut also says false positive.

Truth be told...our phones do not ring for Mr. Max to come over for play dates or random slumbers.
 I hate to tell you buddy but ...I don't think anybody is gonna call for you now.
You come with a pharmacy around your waist and a lamented sheet of paper of do's and dont's!
But, hey don't worry...I'm not scared of no nut, egg, fish or dog.
You can always stay with me!!
I love you and your fanny bag! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

>
<$BlogItemCommentCount$> comments